Tuesday 17 July 2012

So what is it to me? "I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb

I'm sure most people in the 'flipping world' are familiar with this infographic:

Flipped Classroom

Created by Knewton and Column Five Media


Basically, flipping is a shift from the "normal" teaching world. Standard IN-CLASS lectures are replaced with another preferred method by the classroom teacher. The most common I've seen are videos created by the teacher or supplemental videos that already existed (it's not always videos though!). NOW, in-class time becomes focused on application and practice of the learning objective. The method to which this all gets undertaken varies depending on how the flip is being implemented in the classroom. There isn't just one formula for a flip, just like there isn't a formula on how to "properly" teach your class.


Flipping isn't just about videos - I've seen this written in many articles. I think people that don't quite understand the approach see it as a teacher cop-out - "ummm....you're not really doing your job...the students aren't even learning from you..." Okay, you can choose to see it that way, but if students are sleeping on top of their textbook or looking on their phone while they wait for the next page of notes to copy down then what are they learning then? Regurgitation isn't learning. I feel that the flip focuses more on application rather than the notes. This Chinese proverb might be a little deep, but I think it fits, "Give me a fish and I eat for a day.  Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime." I think this proverb says it all as well, "I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand."


Teachers can use the videos (or other preferred resources) to cut out the "dead space" time in the classroom. It's a flip because students view the lecture as homework and come to class ready to put that new knowledge into practice. In-class time is spent answering the questions students might have had had they taken that written/project work home. At some points, students may be working in groups on different assignments, but they would be working at a pace that works for them. At other times, the class may all be working together as a group and with the teacher. It doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me - the only change is that now we have more time to learn and practice and that half a class spent on note-taking is now spent on a project, a speaking exercise, a class vocabulary game, a reading, etc. I think there would be less: "I wish we had time to do that" from the teacher and less: "I didn't do my homework 'cuz I didn't get it" from the student.


In an ideal world all the students will do their flipped homework. I'm sure it doesn't always work out that way, but hopefully the accessibility of the videos/resources opens up that possibility. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment