Thursday 28 June 2012

Flip? Feels like it takes the relationship out of teaching...

In my current state of obsessiveness with this whole flipped model, I didn't even stop to think about how other teachers in my circle of friends would view it. Of course I thought about how traditional teachers would view it and how there would be people opposed to the idea (I did briefly see an article "out there" about the Pros & Cons of this model sort of in a debate format...I hope I can find it again because it's always important to look at both sides of an argument), but I guess I just assumed that any teacher friend I talked to would be like, "wow, really! Let's research together!" ...optimistic thinking.

Yesterday, I was texting with a teacher friend back in Vancouver. Towards the end of the "conversation" I asked if she had ever heard of the flipped classroom. She wrote, "What's that???". As briefly and as quickly as my little fingers could type, I explained that is was an approach where lecture notes are watched at home by the student and class time would now be spent on application of the concept, further practice, and extra help. She said her brother had mentioned something about it, but that she didn't like it. This was when it hit me that of course we don't all like the same teaching styles. Makes sense.

She then asked about the videos and I said that some teachers choose to make their own, but I'm sure there are pre-made videos on many topics. Then she wrote that, to her, it "feels like it takes the relationship out of teaching..." ...??? Whoa...we really were on a different page here! The first time I read about it, my thoughts automatically went to how great this would be to develop a stronger classroom relationship. Of course, it could depend on your specific approach because I'm seeing that there are different levels of a flip, but as I saw it, my students and I would now have more time together to really build fluency and comprehension. As I wrote the other day, I don't want to teach them this language just so they can do well on a test. Some students come in feeling that way, of course! I do realize this, I'm not a clueless teacher, but when you have the passion for them to want more I believe that you do reach out to a few of the ones that come in with the "if I get a C, I'm happy" attitude.

There is always going to be a point in the class where students are working independently from the teacher (I can't imagine a class where the teacher is at the centre all the time...how exhausting and BORING!), but why should the majority of the time we do come together as a class be to write down notes? In a language class, coming together for speaking, reading, and listening is so important - and not just as a whole, but giving them time with each other to practice and feel comfortable is a huge thing too. The relationships that grow in a language class happen when we are applying our learning. Interacting with each other builds us up as a little family; I mean, we're learning a language together! Students are taking risks in front of each other to learn (something some adults don't even try doing!) a completely different language than the one they are going to speak to each other in at lunch time (...and while I wish they would use Spanish together outside of class time...well, MAYBE it happens, but I think that's pushing it).

Lectures/note-taking is when I feel like interaction is at it's lowest because students zone out - I know for a fact that some of them don't even listen to what you're saying because they're just worried about writing down the notes. Then time is spent waiting for students to catch up so that I can further break things down or add examples. No matter how long you wait, someone is always writing and others are always waiting. If I literally covered up the notes to speak, I knew that there were now anxious students STILL not listening but more focused on when I was going to uncover the notes (I used an overhead projector...that was my available 'technology').

In my head, the flip would equal moving away from this basic formula of vocab/grammar notes, practice, homework, check homework, practice...repeat playlist...test. I like how Caitlin Tucker put it in her blog post: "The goal of the flipped classroom should be to shift lessons from “consumables” to “produceables.” " She also adds a note about how she realizes she just made up a word, but she hopes the meaning is clear. I see it as the classroom model should no longer be about memorizing and regurgitation; class time spent on applying learning and having students really showing their learning at a deeper lever would be so much more valuable. For example, how wonderful is it when a student memorizes the the uses of SER vs ESTAR using the preferred mnemonic device of choice (DOCTOR P vs CFL PP or COMET vs PLACE or this new one I just saw Sharpie/Eraser DR EVE HELPP)! Great...now use it in conversation. Uhhh? Yes, learning the facts is one thing, but can they use it? Having more time to develop these fluency skills in the class together and in groups would be so great! So do I feel like flipping takes the relationship out of teaching? No way! For me, it is an opportunity to create an even stronger relationship with each one of your students. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment